Saturday, September 16, 2017

Saturday 9: Don't Talk to Strangers

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Don't Talk to Strangers (1982)



On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
I’ve been away for the last couple of weekends… but I’m back now for awhile.

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) When did you recently have a conversation with a complete stranger? What did you two discuss?
Apples and peaches.
I was at a local orchard and looking at the peaches and the woman standing next started talking about how this year’s crop of apples and peaches were so good this year.

2) In the video for this song, a woman is having a "hot" conversation on a corded, rotary dial phone in her bedroom. Do you have a landline? If so, do you have an extension in your bedroom?
Yes I have a landline and I do have a remote phone in my room.

3) This week's artist, Rick Springfield, says he wrote this song when he was worried that his girlfriend (now his wife) would cheat on him when he was touring. Would you describe yourself as suspicious or trusting?
Trusting, that’s I near should have any children… “What are doing?” “Nothing.” I would totally believe them.

4) He became a daytime heartthrob as Dr. Noah Drake on General Hospital. Do you think it would be cool to have a really attractive doctor? Or would it make you uncomfortable?
I do already, she is my endo and she is totally hot and she is a divorced lesbian. But alas, she's in her late 30s and I am in my late 60s.

5) He's discussed how sad he was when, as a boy, he had to leave his dog Elvis behind when the family left Australia. While you were growing up, did your family often move?
Once, when my father got transferred to Hartford.

6) In 1982, when this song was popular, Italy won the World Cup. Do you ever watch soccer?
Nope… I don’t watch sports.

7) "Smiley," the first emoticon, was introduced in 1982. Do you use emoticons in your communication? Or do you avoid them?
Sometimes but not on a business email.

8) The Vietnam Memorial was dedicated in Washington, DC, in 1982. Do you know any veterans of that conflict? If so, tell us about him or her.
He doesn’t want to talk about it. My other neighbor was the first to come home in a box. A couple of times I was 1A and I quickly went back to school. One time I got a job at a defense contractor to keep me out of Vietnam. My draft number was 348 while my friend’s number was 1, he said the only thing he won in his life was a free trip to Vietnam. While my other neighbor signed up in the Marines, stepped on a land mine and came home in a box.

9) Random Question:  Your friends are throwing a birthday "roast" in your honor. Which one quality of yours are you sure will be singled out for laughs?
My worrying.



This afternoon I will be at the local agricultural fair where I entered one of my photos.

6 comments:

  1. I like how you refer to it as a "remote" instead of an "extension." It's like you're giving old technology a verbal facelift.

    I'm something of a worrier, too. If I wasn't such a passionate fangirl, that would be a target at my roast, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you win at the fair! Good going.

    Worrying is something I do a lot of, too. My husband says I worry about everything and then some. I try to keep it to myself, but it does seep out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you go see your doctor whenever you can.
    Sadly, I am not sure that out produce crops this year were as stellar as they usually are around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Worry has been my life long companion. I so hear you on that.
    Most of the people I know who went to Vietnam don't want to talk about it. Last night we watched a short doc on Netflix about how surfing helps the new veterans to recover from the horror. What these guys went through is a preventable tragedy, just as was Vietnam. Americans G.I.s are not a renewable resource, and shouldn't be treated like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If worry was an olympic sport, I'd be a gold medalist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your answer to #3 cracked me up! Every kid would WANT you for their parent. LOL

    Hope you're having good luck at the fair!

    ReplyDelete