Sunday, August 13, 2017

I Have Mixed Thoughts.

The day camp for trans children that I wrote about I have mixed feelings about the camp (In case you missed it here is the link).

On one side I can see that it is really great for kids, a safe space where they can be themselves and make new friendships for a life time. Instead of being on-guard all the time against insults, harassment, isolation and even violence against them.

In today’s environment fostered by the current administration I realize the need to protect our most at vulnerable children and having a safe space for them is important but I wish that wasn’t true.

I wish that we could live in a society that doesn’t care if you are trans, lesbian, gay, or bi.

I wish that we could live in a society that doesn’t care the color of your skin.

I wish that we could live in a society that doesn’t care about your religious beliefs.

Sadly we don’t.

Sadly we live in a time when the President of the United States does not condemn the white supremacist in Charlotte nor the bombing of a mosque in Minneapolis

So we need safe spaces for our children as much as I don't like the idea.




No comments:

Post a Comment