Monday, January 09, 2017

Not Even A Month Into The New Year

And the death toll mounts.
Trans Woman Murdered in Mississippi; First of 2017
Mesha Campbell was found shot to death along a rural road Wednesday.
The Advocate
By Trudy Ring
January 06, 2017

A transgender woman was found shot to death on a road in Mississippi this week, and her killing is being investigated as a homicide, meaning she is the first trans murder victim of 2017.

Mesha Campbell’s body was found Wednesday afternoon near Canton in Madison County, in the central part of the state, Jackson TV station WLBT reports. She had been shot several times. Police have not made statements about a motive, but friends believe she may have been killed for being transgender.
Then out in North Dakota,
Jamie Lee Wounded Arrow Is Second Trans Woman Killed in 2017
Community members in North Dakota are mourning the loss of the two-spirit transgender woman.
The Advocate
By Daniel Reynolds
January 08 2017

Another transgender life has been taken in 2017.

Jamie Lee Wounded Arrow is the second reported trans woman to be killed this year, following the homicide investigation of Mesha Campbell in Mississippi.

The native of Sioux Falls, N.D., was discovered by police Friday in her apartment, reports KSFY. Investigators believe her death to be a homicide.

The 28-year-old member of the Oglala Lakota tribe was part of the group Sioux Falls Two-Spirit and Allies, which released a statement on Facebook mourning her loss.

"Tunkasila has called another one of our community members home," the statement read, adding, "Our hearts are broken as we will miss her very much. So again, prayers are needed. Pilamaye."
In Pennsylvania…
Transgender man killed by police responding to domestic violence call
LGBTQ Nation
By Erin Rook
January 8, 2017

A Pennsylvania transgender man was shot and killed by police Friday night after officers responded to a domestic violence call, WKBN reports.

Sean Hake, 23, was killed in the home where he lived. Police have released few details except to confirm that the shooting was officer-involved and that the officer who shot Hake has been placed on administrative leave until the investigation is complete.

The police did not say what role, if any, Hake may have had in the domestic assault that prompted police to show up at his residence. Hake had been previously arrested for violating an order as recently as March 2016, according to WKBN.
Three killed one week in to the new year, it is a sad start.

This afternoon I am at a meeting in Hartford to discuss the 2017 Connecticut Legislative agenda.

No comments: