Saturday, November 19, 2016

Saturday 9: Cabaret

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Cabaret (1972)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Liza Minnelli encourages you to put down "the knitting, the book and the broom." Which of those three were you most recently doing: knitting, reading or housework?
Reading, but not a book but a Kindle.

I downloaded three audio books for my ride down to New Jersey for Thanksgiving.

2) She sings that we shouldn't allow "some prophet of doom to wipe every smile away?" Do you know anyone who reliably looks at the downside of life?
Yes, and I bet there are many more people who are looking at the downside lately.

3) In 1972, when this recording was popular, so was The Brady Bunch. In the two-part season premiere, The Bradys went to Hawaii. Do you have any warm weather vacation plans this fall/winter?
Hibernating in front of my woodstove.

4) Though not her uncle, just a friend to both of her parents, Liza always called  Frank Sinatra as "Uncle Frank." Is there an older person in your life who isn't a blood relative, but who refer to as "aunt" or "uncle?"
Nope, no one.

5) Liza collapsed onstage during a Christmas concert in 2007. She says she'd been nauseous before she went on and simply fainted. Sam has never fainted. Have you? 
Only once that I remember, I was working outside of my parents’ home when I stood up… under the air conditioner and the next think I remember is laying down looking up at the sky.

6) People are often surprised when they learn Liza is good friends with Gene Simmons -- the KISS member with the long tongue. Tell us about one of your good friends. 
She care about others.

7) Liza told US Magazine that she loves to eat at Olive Garden. Do you?
Only as a the last resort. It is a typical chain restaurant.

8) She keeps apple juice and yogurt in her refrigerator at all times. Would we find either in your refrigerator right now?
Not yogurt and not really apple juice but rather apple cider. If you say that apple cider is the same as apple juice then you never had apple cider and that it is like comparing Velveeta to a Sharp Cheddar.

This apple orchard is only a mile from my home.

9)  Random question: Which would be a more frustrating dinner companion -- someone who won't shut up, or someone who won't say a word?
Both are annoying. I have eaten with each type. But it helps to understand why they are like that. The person who can’t shut up lives alone and the one who didn’t talk was very introverted.

8 comments:

  1. With the wood stove and apple orchard, you make autumn sound so inviting and delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about cider. I love it, but only if I can find unpasturized...otherwise it really is kind of like apple juice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 cheers for the introverts! :)
    You just reminded me that I need to download some audio books too.
    Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love apple cider very cold and then I like it spiced and hot. I have made myself sick drinking too much cider. I feel the same way about most chain restaurants, very ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had some delicious cider from a local orchard the other day. There is something about fresh cider that's magical!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love apple cider. I am the only one in the family who likes it, which makes it rather hard to purchase because then I have to drink it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot about cider. I do drink apple cider vinegar (with the "mother" still in it) in my lemon ginger tea.
    You're right, Cider is delicious! We used to go to Oak Glen to get it in the fall, and we can still go to Julian. Love the stuff.
    Audio books are calling me. I'm ignoring them...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow--how long does it take you to get to new Jersey? We read an audio book on our trip to visit our son, 8 hours away, and we just barely finish it on the way home. Sometimes we have to take another trip before we finish.

    ReplyDelete