Saturday, November 12, 2016

Saturday 9: Ballad of Gilligan's Island

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Ballad of Gilligan's Island (1964)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This is about the fateful cruise of the S.S. Minnow. If you had a boat, what would christen it?
Damn Yankee
I miss read the first question, I guess I was still half asleep... a bottle of beer. It wouldn't be a big boat nothing ostentatious so no champagne.

2)  "No phone! No lights! No motorcar! Not a single luxury!" To Sam, those sound more like everyday essentials than luxuries. If you were shipwrecked with the gang, what standard amenity would you miss the most?
A hot shower!

3) The uncharted isle was in the Pacific, near Hawaii. Have you ever been to our 50th state?
Nope, but I would like to visit it sometime.

4) Natalie Schafer, who played Mrs. Howell, refused to divulge her age. Are you honest about how old you are? Or do you fudge it?
I’m honest about my age, I see no reason to lie about your age. I look at it as a badge of honor that I made it this far and I told my brother that I want a tee shirt when I turn 70 that says “I survived the sixties” you can take it either way,

5) Gilligan's Island featured many dream sequences. (Like the one where Gilligan dozes off and dreams that he's Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk.) Have you had any vivid dreams lately?
I think I have but I can’t remember them when I wake up.

6) The pilot was filmed in November, 1963, in Honolulu. The cast and crew were actually onset when they learned of President Kennedy's assassination.* Because on location filming was so expensive, they couldn't afford to take any time off.  Tell us about a time when you had to work, even though your heart and head weren't in it. 
Oh many, many times at work, one time we had to work all through Christmas shutdown including Christmas and New Year Eve but boy did I bring in the money that week. I worked 60 hours and got triple time. But it happened many more times once I became the supervisor on salary, all I got then was a pat on the back.

7) During the show's run, Mary Ann (Dawn Wells) was the clear fan favorite, receiving twice as many love letters as Ginger (Tina Louise). Have you ever written a fan letter (or posted a fan tweet or Facebook post)?
Nope.

8) Sam chose this week's song because it was going through her head, over and over again! Tell us a song that burrows into your head and stays there.
You asked for it…
Now see if you can get it out of your head as it burrows in.

9)  Random question: You went to a discount store and got an amazing bargain -- a pair of dress shoes for just $4.99. You go to a formal event and someone compliments you on those great shoes and asks where you got them. Do you tell the truth?
I don’t know. I never had that problem; I suppose that it would depend on who asked, if it was a friend yes but a stranger I would have to think about that before I answered.

5 comments:

  1. My BIL is turning 70 on his next birthday. He needs that shirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah--I've now got that song stuck in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their house is a museum when people come to see 'em. They really are a scre-um. The Addams Family! (snap snap!) The classics never go out of style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on the last question. And Addams Family is a great ear worm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those shirts sound great. We were going to watch Addams' Family films on Halloween but forgot to. And, gee, thanks for the earworm.

    ReplyDelete