Saturday, September 24, 2016

Saturday 9: One Night in Bangkok

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: One Night in Bangkok (1984)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun...
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) This song is from the play Chess. It's been said that the most successful players are fluid in their thinking. Do you consider yourself flexible or set in your ways?
Yes, I think I have a touch of OCD. If I made plans I don’t like to change them at the last minute.

2) Nigel Short, a real-life chess grandmaster, used to wear a t-shirt that said, "He who cares, wins." Do you always play to win? Or do you play board/card games or sports for the fun of it?
I play for fun, my game is Backgammon and if I play cards I lie Hearts

3) The singer is in Bangkok for an important tournament. He maintains that he doesn't mind missing the sights and dismisses Bangkok is just another "crowded, polluted stinking town." Do you find big cities exciting? Or do you think of them as noisy and dirty?
Noisy, dirty, and claustrophobic and next weekend I am going to see the play Beautiful: The Carole King Musical on Broadway. I have a good sense of direction but in “The City” I’m lost, wherever you look are just walls of buildings and I can’t see the sun to get my bearings.

4) Air pollution has reached serious levels Bangkok. Do you suffer from allergies, asthma or another condition that could be aggravated by pollution?
No, I am slightly allergic to pollen. But I'm old enough that I can remember smog, driving into Hartford on Route 15 when you see the Hartford skyline seeing it encompassed in a blue hazy.

5) To reduce traffic, commuters travel through Bangkok on ferries that make regularly scheduled trips up and down the Chao Phraya River. When was your last boat ride?
I have a cottage on a lake you would think that I’m always in a boat but I not, so the last time on was on a boat was the ferry trip to Long Island and back.

6) Round trip airfare between ATL and BKK is $1750. If we gave you a travel voucher for that dollar amount, how would you spend it? 
On a tour of the western National Parks

7) The Holiday Inn Express in Bangkok has a McDonald's onsite. When you go somewhere new, do you find it comforting to be surrounded by what's familiar? Or would you prefer to try new things?
I am not really into ethnic foods; my stomach can’t stomach it.

8) One of Bangkok's most popular restaurants is DID, which stands for Dine in Dark. The dining room at DID is 100% light free -- cell phones must be stored in the lobby to avoid distracting from the experience -- so customers eat their four course meal without seeing it. This heightens the diner's sense of taste and smell. When you prepare a meal, do you put a great deal of care into its presentation?
Nope. My presentation is I just place the plate in front them and say “eat.”

9) Random question: Think about your last professionally prepared meal. Did you dine in, carry out, or have it delivered?
Well it all depends on if you consider pizza a “professionally prepared meal” otherwise I dined in the restaurant.



Today I will be up at the Moveable Senior Center in Manchester and I will be sneaking out after lunch.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I hope you'll love Beautiful as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish I lived closer to theater experiences. I hope you'll blog about Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see that Carole King Musical! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Backgammon is SO much fun. Friends of ours in the way back had a handmade game, and played with nuts and bolts. They called it Acey Duecey but it was basically Backgammon. Thanks for the reminder.

    Carole King is a favorite singer to our hearts, and I'd love to see the show, "Beautiful"

    ReplyDelete