Saturday, July 30, 2016

Saturday 9: Jamming

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Jamming (1977)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun...
This weekend I am up at the cottage with some friends so I will reply to you all when I get a chance.

... Because Eloquent Obi suggested Bob Marley. Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) In Jamaica, "jamming" means to celebrate. What's going on in your life today that's worth celebrating?
I’m breathing.

2) The group that became famous as "The Wailers" originally called themselves "The Teenagers." What was trendy when you were a teenager (clothes, music, etc.)? 
Hippies. Long hair, beads, and far out!

3) Bunny Wailer and Bob Marley were very close. In addition to being bandmates, they were friends in elementary school and later became family (Bunny's dad and Bob's mom had a daughter together). Who has known you the longest?
My brother, he was there when I was born.

4) Does the person you named in #3, the one who's known you longest, know you best?
My brother, he knows how to press my buttons

5) Bandmate Peter Tosh became an avid unicycle rider. What's your favorite form of exercise? 
Reading… Oh wait that’s not an exercise, I have to say walking.

6) Bob Marley was known for his signature dreadlocks. When were you last in a stylist’s chair?
Uh… maybe ten years ago. If you count a wig stylist than it was in April.

7) Marley's charisma is credited for popularizing reggae music the world over. Are you a fan? 
Somewhat, there are some songs that I like such as “Don’t Worry, Be Happy”

8) Mr. Marley is one of the highest-earning dead celebrities, and manufacturers pay his estate to use his likeness to sell their merchandise. What dead celebrity have you seen recently on a t-shirt, mug, poster, etc.?
No one, I don’t look for that kind of thing.

9) Random question: Have you ever had your palm read?
Nope, never.

4 comments:

  1. Reading exercises your brain! It counts.

    "I don’t look for that kind of thing." I find that answer so interesting. I don't LOOK for it either, but I see it. Like I see how many men wear khakis on the train. I don't wake up in the morning thinking, "I must make note of what men are wearing." But I do see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those hippy styles are back again. I think this may be the third or fourth hippy style resurrection in my life so far...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny to hear my students talk about what they think hippies are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never considered Don't Worry Be Happy to be reggae, but I guess it is.

    ReplyDelete