Saturday, July 09, 2016

Saturday 9: Hotel California

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Hotel California (1977)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun...

... Because Country Dew suggested it. Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Composer Don Henley says this song is about the "journey from innocence to experience." Where do find yourself on that journey? Are you more innocent, or experienced? 
It all depends on what you are talking about. There are somethings in life that I am very experienced and somethings that I am innocent.
Just last week I visited a homeless shelter to train their staff and in a couple of weeks I am training the prison staff. I am a little nervous about that, I watch too much “Orange Is The New Black”

2) The lyrics refers to the "warm smell of colitas." Do you know what it is that the Eagles noticed in the air?
I assume that it is some type of flower.

3) The girl in the song had her head turned by luxury, including jewelry from Tiffany's and Mercedes Benz autos. Do you consider yourself materialistic?
I like my toys but I shop for price.

4) This recording has been lauded by music publications for for its long guitar solo. Are you good on the guitar?
Never even strummed one.

5) There's an error in the lyrics and Don Henley can get a bit testy when interviewers bring it to his attention. Here's the lyric: "So I called up the captain and said, 'Please bring me your wine.' He said, 'We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.'" Do you know what's wrong with it?
Now that you pointed it out, yes. Wine is not spirit; spirits is hard alcohol like vodka and whiskey. 

6) Known as the Eagles' drummer, Henley now spends less time at his drum kit. Sitting at that angle for an extended period of time hurts his back. Sam believes this proves all those warnings she heard from her parents about good posture are true. Do you pay attention to your posture? 
No, and I am paying for it now.

7) Joe Walsh is considered the wild man of the Eagles. Think of your circle of friends. Who is the most unpredictable?
Yes, there is a person like that; however my friends read my blog and you are not going to get me into trouble.

8) In 1977, Star Wars premiered. How many Star Wars movies have you seen?
Only the first three.

9) Random question: "Nosocomephobia" is the fear of hospitals. Are you  nosocomephobic?
No, I don’t mind hospitals as long I am not the one there.

I am going to an picnic in Vermont this weekend so I would be able to reply to your comments and the same thing happened last weekend we were working around the cottage all the long weekend.

5 comments:

  1. Your answer to #1 sounds very intense! I've never even been inside of a prison.

    You got #5 right, and my answer to #6 is very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been self-conscious of my posture, so I stand up straight and make sure I don't slouch or slump.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was watching OITNB thinking is was uneventful, yet, enjoyable. Then I got to the ending of the episode where Piper gets assaulted. I was so disturbed by it that I don't want to finish the season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had paid more attention to my posture. I am paying for it now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your answers but especially the last one. Kudos on the "spirits" one.

    ReplyDelete