Thursday, June 23, 2016

Some Don’t Get It

Maybe it is just the fact that I avoid those who don’t understand, but that doesn’t mean that there are people out there that don’t want to “get it” and take the time to learn about being trans.
To The Gay Man At The Vigil: I Didn’t Think I’d Have To Protect My Trans Son From You
We don’t decide who we are inside. We just are.
Huffington Post
By Lisa C. Wolfe
June 21, 2016

I’ve been thrust into the role of a defender of my newly-out Transgender son from the usual people you would expect — well-meaning relatives, people who need a bit of education. However, as a long-time supporter of the gay community, I have been saddened by a minority of responses he has gotten and I’m compelled to share our story.

Recently, we were at a vigil for the shooting victims at the in Orlando, and I introduced my son to a gay gentleman that I’d met earlier in the evening.

He stared at my son, and said, “Your son. Right. Whatever you say.” I was stunned. He went on (I was not processing words at this point) and indicated that he knew my son is a girl, but “whatever.”
I lost count of how many times I have heard “whatever” when I correct a person use of pronouns
This morning, I posted in my Parents of Trans support group and the response was electric. This was the experience of many, many Trans people. In some cases, the gay community was outright transphobic.
As I said I haven't had this problem from the LG community, maybe it is because I instinctively avoid those toxic people or maybe they avoid me or they keep their mouths shut around trans people.

The LGBT community like every other minority community very diverse, there are conservatives and there are liberals, there are Republican and Democratic lesbians, gays, bisexuals, and trans people, and there are rich and there are poor LGBT people. There are transphobic lesbians and gays and there’re homophobic trans people. We all don’t sit around the campfire singing Kumbaya.

But you know we all share one thing in common, we can be a victim of a hate crime at anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment