Saturday, June 18, 2016

Saturday 9: Papa, Don't Preach

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Papa, Don't Preach (1986) 

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun...

If you're not familiar with today's song, you can hear it here.

1) Madonna has sold more than 200 million records worldwide. Do you have any of her songs on your iPod/mp3 player/phone?
Believe it or not, I am not that big a of a fan of Madonna (different generation), if I had to pick a song I pick “Like A Prayer” but what I really liked was her performance in the movie “A League of Their Own.”
A little story about my mother; she didn’t like Madonna and one time I showed her the movie “A League of Their Own” which she liked and when I told it was Madonna she was amazed.

2) When she first arrived in New York in search of fame and fortune, Madonna supported herself by working at Dunkin' Donuts. What did you order last time you were at Dunkin' Donuts?
A large decaf ice coffee black.

3) Madonna and her first husband, Sean Penn, ended their marriage on New Year's Eve, 1988. Sam's New Year's Eves are never that dramatic. What about you? Do you have any vivid New Year's Eve memories you'd like to share?
I am lucky to make it to eleven thirty.

4) Madonna admits she suffers from brontophobia, aka the fear of storms. Are you scared of thunder and lightening?
Nope. A couple of times there were close calls that got me nervous. One time a cell moved right over the cottage, I was watching the lighting crossing the lake with the bolts hitting the water just offshore. As it passed overhead I could hear the sizzling noise of the static electricity as the electric charged cell moved over head and then the flash boom together.

5) Onstage during the 2015 Coachella fest, Madonna shocked the audience by planting a kiss square on the lips of much-younger rapper Drake. What's something that surprised you recently?
The action of somebody who stabbed the group in the back, I thought the person was better than that.

6) More recently, Madonna was at the center of a controversy because Prince fans didn't like her tribute at the Billboard Music Awards. They made themselves heard on social media. Was your last Facebook post or Tweet positive or negative?
Positive; from last night “I'm up at the lake and I am hoping to get some good night photos, the loons are going crazy with their laughter”

7) One of the things Sam's papa preaches about is car maintenance. He reminds her to check her car's air filter regularly, because a dirty filter can reduce mileage. Share your own car maintenance tip with us.
Here is my tip, when the “maintenance” idiot light comes I call the dealer to make an appointment.

8) When she was growing up, Sam's father was often away on business. He always remembered to bring back the complimentary shampoos, conditioners and lotions from the hotels where he stayed. When will you next stay in a hotel (or motel, bed-and-breakfast or Airbnb room)? 
In July at an overnight party in Vermont, I am way too to old to camp out on the ground so I am getting a room at a B&B.

9) To celebrate Father's Day, Sam is giving away her father's favorite candy: LifeSavers. Would you prefer a roll of Wild Cherry, Butter Rum, Winter Green or Peppermint?
Wow! What a choice, they are all good flavors… can I pick all of them?  …No, then I pick Butter Rum.

I am up at the cottage this weekend to relax and try to take some night sky photos. Last night the weather didn’t cooperate, there were high thin cloud cover and I was hoping that the moon would be over the lake but it is behind the cottage.

5 comments:

  1. Hope you have wonderful photography weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cottage sure sounds nice. I like that 'idiot light' idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am planning to shoot photos of the moon when it rises tonight. We shall see how that goes. Right now we have cloud cover. I would love to try a moon reflection on a lake. That would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I soooooo agree with you camping! It's one thing to spend the day communing with nature. It's another thing (less pleasant!) to sleep on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes the thunder booming makes me jump, especially when it is really loud, but I love storms. I am on a quest for photos of lightning. I've gotten a few, but none to brag about yet. Good luck with your night photos. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete