Friday, April 01, 2016

Tilting Windmills

To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go

To right the unrightable wrong
To love pure and chaste from afar
To try when your arms are too weary
To reach the unreachable star

This is my quest
To follow that star
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far

"The Impossible Dream"
from MAN OF LA MANCHA (1972)

Sometime fighting that unrightable wrong become a burden that is too heavy, sometimes you just need to walk away and you want to call “Time Out!” But life doesn’t give you any time outs.

This week has been particularly burdensome with training for 211 operators Tuesday morning. Yesterday afternoon I went back to my alma mater to give a talk to the Pride Committee and I was there a little over two hours. Today I had a conference call about our conference with a former classmate and friend who I worked with in passing the gender inclusive non-discrimination and birth certificate bills. Then I had a contractor over my house to give me an estimate on my deck to redeck it with composite decking. Now I am at the town senior center’s photo club for some me time.

This is on top of my volunteer work I do at the Hartford Gay and Lesbian Health Collective and the work I do for CTAC (Connecticut TransAdvocacy Coalition).

And I look around the U.S. and I see all this negativity directed against us and then you wonder, am I making a difference or am I just tilling windmills.

I asked that question to a friend who I teach a class as a guest lecturer and he said “Darn right!  These teachers will remember your positive messages for ever.”

The work just seems like it never ends and that the whole world is against us.



No comments:

Post a Comment