Saturday, November 14, 2015

Saturday 9: The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia (1972)*

Every Saturday I take time off from written on serious topics to have some fun…

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The lyrics tell us about a young man who stopped at a bar named Webb's before heading home. What's the last restaurant or bar you visited? What did you order?
I’m trying to remember where I was in Provincetown on Cape Cod (I know that sounds bad), I think it was the Crown and Anchor and I had my usual, club soda and a dash of cranberry juice and a lime.

2) In this video, Vicki Lawrence is obviously lip synching. If you had to participate in a competition, would you do better at karaoke or lip synching? And what song would you choose to perform?
Lip synch, believe me when I tell you that you don’t want to hear me sing, and the song… row, row your boat.

3) Back when this song was popular, so was the Rubik's Cube. Can you solve that 3-D puzzle?
Nope my mind just goes blank and I kind of stare off into space and start to drool every time someone hands me a Rubik’s Cube.

4) Vicki Lawrence is a hyphenate, meaning she's a comedienne-actress-singer. Using hyphens, describe yourself.
Engineer-social worker

5) Back in the early 1970s, songwriter Bobby Russell first offered this song to Cher, who refused it. Give us the name of a song Cher did record.
I can name a couple that I like, “If I Could Turn Back Time,” “Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves,” and “Half Breed”

6) Vicki Lawrence won her first big break playing Carol Burnett's kid sister because of her resemblance to the star. Have you ever been told you look like a celebrity?
Nope, can’t say that I have.

7) She also starred on Mama's Family in the role of matriarch of an argumentative Southern clan. As we head into the holiday season, do your plans involve a lot of family time? 
Yes, I will be with my family for the holidays

8) After The Carol Burnett Show and Mama's Family, Vicki became a staple on daytime TV. She hosted Win, Lose or Draw and was a contestant on The Match Game and $25,000 Pyramid. Do you watch much daytime TV?
Zero, however, I do watch the news at twelve.

9) Random question provided by a Sat 9er: Bugs/insects. Do you like 'em or fear 'em? Tell us something/anything you know about them.
I hate the type that bit and I don’t mind them outside, but inside is a different story.

*This week marked the fiftieth anniversary of the Great Northeast Blackout.

6 comments:

  1. It's interesting that 3 of us (so far) chose Gypsies, Tramps an Thieves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm surprised. I figured you would easily solve Rubik's Cube!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's always a treat to hear a bad "Row Your Boat" like in Star Trek 5...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you would be a Rubik's cube champ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Row your boat ... good choice! Although maybe Soft Kitty? Give it a try . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whenever they start harvesting the corn here we get these nasty yellow lady bug who bite. Their bites are really bad for such little bugs that are suppose to be ladies.

    ReplyDelete