Saturday, September 12, 2015

Staycation Over Labor Day Weekend

Over the Labor Day weekend I went up to my brother's and sister-in-laws in southern Maine and on Saturday we decided to go on the Casco Bay ferry. But first we stopped and had lunch at the Black Point Inn in Scarborough it is a 175 year old sitting on the Western Cove across from Old Orchard Beach. After lunch we walked over in back of the inn to the other side of the peninsula.

There we found the old ocean pump house for the inn, it was built in 1919.


We then went up to Portland to take the Casco Bay ferry out to the islands. It is a beautiful trip and it was only $15 for the round trip to Little Diamond, Big Diamond and Long Islands and it was about a three hour tour. The day was perfect, in the low 70s, a light wind and very few clouds.

On the way out we passed Bug Light Park and a group of people were flying this monster of a kit. It had to be over thirty or forty feet long.


On the way to Little Diamond Island I snapped this photo Highland Head Lighthouse about 9 miles way.


The weather was perfect for sailboats! I would hate to have a powerboat going through all those sailboats since the sailboats have the right-away.


I always want to take a cruise on one of those charter schooners but after see this one packed to the gunwales I don't think I want to take a cruise on them.


Another charter schooner coming out from behind an island


As the ferry left the dock on Little Diamond Island, the captain gunned the engines churning up the sea in the ships wake and the kids all on the dock jumped in.


I took this picture of the Navy Blue Angles that were at the Brunswick Air Show some twenty miles away. I took the picture handhold my 500 mm lens!


On Sunday we went down to the Kennebunk town beach on the last day of summer to relax and read by the ocean. It was a little chilly in the shad of the umbrella but after 20 - 30 minutes in the sun I got back in the shade and repeated the cycle when I got cold.


And on Labor Day I drove home because I had a meeting to go on Tuesday.

2 comments:

  1. That first shot could be a postcard, but my favorite is the happy people leaping off the pier. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is a gorgeous group of photos for your staycation. Since we love kites, and used to fly them, thanks for including that beautiful kite!

    ReplyDelete