Saturday, September 05, 2015

Saturday 9: Working My Way Back to You (

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Working My Way Back to You (1966)

Every Saturday I take time off from written on serious topics to have some fun…

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) We're celebrating the last holiday of summer with The Four Seasons. Which season is your favorite?
Fall, I like the change in season, the colors, and the smell of the air.

2) Before they settled on The Four Seasons, they called themselves The Four Lovers, The Romans and The Village Voices. If you were/are in a band, please share the name. Or just make up a cool name for your pretend band.
The Inharmonious Singers

3) Lead singer Frankie Valli has occasionally fudged the year of his birth. Have you ever lied about your age?
Yes, on Facebook I say that I was born in 1910.

4) Frankie Valli, Frank Sinatra, Jon Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen ... New Jersey has given us many music superstars. What is your state known for?
Fake nutmeg: from Mental Floss,
Over time, Yankee peddlers developed a reputation for selling fake nutmegs made of carved wood.
But the reputation might have been unjustly earned,
Later, it was suggested that it was the confused Southerners to blame for these mix-ups. In a 1980 issue of Connecticut Magazine, Elizabeth Abbe suggested that Southern customers were unaware that nutmeg had to be grated, and instead wrongly thought that the Yankee merchants were trying to scam them.

She writes, "unknowing buyers may have failed to grate nutmegs, thinking they had to be cracked like a walnut. Nutmegs are wood, and bounce when struck. If southern customers did not grate them, they may very well have accused the Yankees of selling useless ‘wooden’ nutmegs, unaware that they wear down to a pungent powder to season pies and breads.”  
5) In 1965, Frankie was arrested in Columbus, Ohio. But it wasn't his fault! The bandmate he trusted to pay the group's hotel bill neglected to do so. Tell us about a time when your trusting nature got you in trouble. 
We went on a fishing trip up to Vermont and one of the guys we were with said we can camp by the river and in the morning we had a visit by the police.

6) Clint Eastwood directed the movie version of the Four Seasons biography, Jersey Boys. What's your favorite Clint Eastwood movie? 
I would pick the television show Rawhide and for the movie “The Bridges of Madison County

Since Labor Day is the holiday established to celebrate the American worker …

7) According to the U.S. Census, more and more Americans are working from home. Are you one of them?
Nope, I’m retired.

8) Of those of us who work outside the home, 75% travel to work alone. 15% take public transportation and the remaining 10% carpool. How do you get to your job?
When I worked my job was only four miles away and I drove to work.

9) Do you have any big plans for this holiday weekend?
I am up at my brother’s and sister-in-law’s condo in southern Maine this weekend and today we are going on the mail boat to the islands in Casco Bay.

6 comments:

  1. Clint Eastwood was very handsome on Rawhide. I forgot that.

    Looking forward to photos from your weekend visit. (You take such good outdoor pix.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness! Fake nutmegs. That's a funny story. I forgot about "Rawhide". I liked that show, and one called "Johnnie Yuma". Have a great time on your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a band i probably could join! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck getting to the cabin--SoMe is going to be crazy with traffic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that story about the nutmeg. I'd never heard that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet the colors are amazing where you live when the leaves change colors.

    ReplyDelete