Saturday, August 22, 2015

Saturday 9: Hello, Dolly

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Hello, Dolly (1964)

Every Saturday I take time off from written on serious topics to have some fun…

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about a woman returning to the town where she was happiest. How many towns have you lived in? 
Two and both of them are located in Connecticut

2) Crazy Sam played Ernestina in her high school production of Hello, Dolly! and still remembers one of her lines: "Hey, you with the big ears! What are you doing after the show?" Tell us something that you memorized for school that is still rattling around in your brain.
Nothing rattles around anymore from high school it is all filled with cobwebs after fifty years.

3) This week's featured artist, Louis Armstrong, got his start entertaining diners on riverboat dinner cruises. Have you ever taken a dinner cruise? 
Kind of… I was on a cruise up the Connecticut River one time and there was a buffet.

4) Armstrong took his nickname, "Satchmo," from "Satchel Mouth" -- a slang term for someone with a wide mouth, which Louis believed was his most distinguishing feature. What do you think people notice first about you?
Um… that I’m trans

5) In 1936, Louis became the first African American to get featured billing in a Hollywood movie. Have you seen any of this summer's big movies? 
Nope, I haven’t been to the theater since I saw Hope Springs

6) When "Hello, Dolly" composer Jerry was growing up, he was close to an aunt named Belle who encouraged his love of music. Tell us about one of your aunts or uncles.
It is easy to tell you about all my aunts and uncles… their dead.

7) Though famous for composing the scores of Hello, Dolly!, Mame and La Cage Aux Folles, Jerry Herman can't read music. Can you?
Nope. It looks pretty with all those fancy lines and squiggly symbols.

8) Now retired, Mr. Herman lives in Miami. This is Miami's "wet season," which lasts into October. When did it last rain where you are?
Yesterday, and we needed it.

9) Random question: Have you suffered a sunburn this summer?
No, the sun is not my friend. We have a history of skin cancer in the family.

5 comments:

  1. I used to get terrible burns when I was a kid. Now I avoid the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Hope Springs on HBO. I always enjoy Meryl Streep. I hope I'm thinking of the right movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, that's the right movie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet that Connecticut cruise was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come now! You don't remember ANYTHING from high school?! The periodic table? Conjugating Spanish verbs? There must be something! (Beyond that you didn't like Wuthering Heights. See? I remember something from your high school years!)

    ReplyDelete