Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Being Trans

There is a video from BuzzFeed that has been floating around on Facebook that hits the mark. The video is “Our Deepest Insecurities Being Trans”



I have to say that when I road Fastrak* I was nervous going to the Pride Rally in Hartford but coming from the rally was bad because the bus was loaded with gay, lesbian, and gender queer students from Center Connecticut State University. But going to Hartford was different because it was fill with strangers, so that were giggling, and some that stared.

I also carry all my old insecurities like being in a room full of strangers, going out on my own to new places. How I envy those who can just walk in to a strange place and strike up a conversation with a stranger, I need a security blanket around me.

For me over time I have developed coping skills, I didn’t know at the time that they were coping skill but now I realize them for what they are. I did thinks like read the headlines on the news rages in the check-out line at supermarkets or watching the floor numbers on an elevator or  or stare out the window on the bus, or looking for other distractions to take my mind off of the here and now. Some wear a rubber band on their wrist and snap it to relieve the stress.

So what are your insecurities and how do you cope with them?

*Fastrak is a bus system in the greater Hartford area

No comments:

Post a Comment