Wednesday, June 03, 2015

I Don’t Think So

Do you think anyone who hasn’t had Gender Confirming Surgery can understand what it is like? I’m trans and I don’t think that I will ever really know unless I have it.
What It's Like To Choose Transgender Sex Reassignment Surgery
NPR
By Meredith Rizzo
June 1, 2015

Svoboda put flyers up in LGBT health clinics in the San Francisco area, asking people if they would be willing to let her document the experience. Jamie Nelson, who says he identifies as a transgender male who is queer, and Jetta'Mae Carlisle, who says she identifies as a straight woman, said yes. Both were preparing to have surgery, and were willing to let Svoboda follow them through the process.
[…]
In the end, Svoboda says, she learned an incredible amount. "The lengths they have had to go through in order to be themselves inspire me," she says. "They've been forced to ask for what they need, to face criticism, rejection and even degradation. They've gone through pain and confusion and still they find a way to hold their heads up and say, 'This is who I am.' "
I don’t think just by talking to someone you can understand the feelings, you can draw all types of analogies, but I don’t think it will come close.

I know just the decision to transition was agony, and nights curled up in a ball crying, it is agonizing the metamorphosis you go through is without words and then making peace with yourself and finding that inner calm.


No comments:

Post a Comment