Sunday, May 31, 2015

A Night At The Movies

Back in 2002 when I was just putting my toe outside to test the waters I went to what was called then “Gay and Lesbian Film Festival” and I wrote about it in my Geocities Blog,
A night out at the movies. Went to the Gay and Lesbian Film Festival last night, which runs for nine nights at Trinity's College Cine Studio in in Hartford, it featured five films. Four of them were shorts, "Do You Take This Man", "Scar", "Size Them Up" and "Blue Haven" and the other was a full length movie "The Trip". The theme for "Blue Horizons" was a transsexual skateboarder who needed money for her operation. All were enjoyable except "Scar" that was a little too esoteric and ethereal for my taste. The featured film was a love story that was very good and very poignant.
Before the movies, I had three friends over for a spaghetti dinner. At the movie theater we meet up with four other members from COS, we had our own little tranny [the old days before it went out of style] corner of the theater (Which I feel is nice, because we add the "T" in the GLBT. It lets them know that we are here and a part of the community.). After the movies they had a reception buffet and we stayed for a little while. I got home around midnight.
It is now called the Out Film CT but they still have a reception on opening night after the movies but this year for the first time in a long time I didn’t go to opening night because I went to a banquet instead. CLARO had their annual banquet and they were honoring a friend so I attended that instead.

I like opening night because of the reception, now that I’m out it is like a class reunion because there are so many people from the LGBT community that I know who attend it.

Tonight I am going to see…
Photo by Deja
Lady Valor: The Kristin Beck Story
Christopher Beck is a former U.S. Navy SEAL who embarks on a new mission as Kristin Beck. In 2013, a year and a half after retirement, Kristin came out publicly on CNN’s Anderson Cooper 360. Many friends, colleagues and family were taken by surprise. The American ideals she protected while at war are now given a whole new meaning as she lives her life truthfully as a transgender woman.
And the shorts are Coming Out, Chance, and Captive and the first is a German movie, then a U.S.
movie and the short is an Australian movie.

But right now I am getting ready to go to brunch with Kristin Beck. As I said “so many people from the LGBT community that I know who attend…” and I was invited to get a group of trans friends and allies together for the brunch. She is going to do a Q&A session after her movie, she arrived yesterday, and the director of the film festival thought it would be nice to treat her to a brunch. I don’t know if I will be showing her the sights around Hartford this afternoon but I was asked for a list places to take her.

No comments:

Post a Comment