Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Feminism

I am always a little confused when I hear the working feminism because the word means so many things to so many people; it is kind of like the word “Transgender.” There is an article about trans-feminism in the website Gay Voice Views,
Trans-feminism 101 (An evaluation of feminist thought through the eyes of a trans-man)
February 9, 2015
By CJ Shrewsbury

Trans-feminism 101

(An evaluation of feminist thought through the eyes of a trans-man)

As a “trans” man, not only have I struggled with my place within society due to my gender identity, but have also struggled in finding an identity within the feminist world. It was, as if, everywhere I turned I was confronted with oppression. I was tolerated by the feminist community but not taken seriously as a feminist. To most, I was seen as a traitor to femininity. Choosing to adopt masculinity and therefore I was now part of the patriarchal oppressors. Now given this was not the view of all feminists. Many groups, such as inclusive feminists welcomed me with open arms. Yet, I still felt like an outcast.

So what was I to do? I could not in my own conscious, morally or philosophically abandon my feminist identity and roots. However, no matter where I turned, I felt excluded and at times discriminated against due to my personal gender identity. I found this not only more troubling but confusing as well. For my interpretation of my scholarly research on feminism contradicted this unwarranted exclusion from the feminist world. My understanding led me to understand that feminism, regardless of philosophical ideology, aimed for equality for all people unjustly excluded and discriminated by the oppressive patriarchal society and their coercive institutions.
That is more or less how I view feminism, “aimed for equality for all people unjustly excluded and discriminated by the oppressive patriarchal society and their coercive institutions.” Where everyone has an equal chance to achieve their dreams, which all possibilities can be realized.

But like all movements it has splintered in different directions,
Yes, historically it began as a purely woman’s movement. But like all social movements and their correlating theories, feminism has evolved into a broader more inclusive identity. Including not only women’s issues but also taking into consideration, class, gender, race, and sexuality. Making feminism a movement seeking justice for all effected by patriarchy and acknowledging that women were not the only one’s suffering from patriarchy’s oppression. Despite the truth of modern feminist ideology, there still remains a small number consisting of mainly radical feminist who do not adhere to this 21st century notion of feminism. Most notably, the right-wing radical feminists known as the TERFS (Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminists). I shall abandon the desire to elaborate further on the problems created by the TERFS and save the topic for a future article. For my purpose is not to narrate the divisions amongst feminism but focus upon the philosophy of trans-feminism.
And some have moved it from equality to oppression; just like those in the trans community who are exclusionist. Those trans people who look down at trans people who have not had surgery or can integrate into society.

No comments:

Post a Comment