Thursday, January 01, 2015

Staycation – Mystic Seaport

A couple of Sunday’s ago I went down to Mystic Seaport for the day with some friends. The seaport had finished renovating the Charles W. Morgan a 19th century whaling ship over the summer. Afterward they sailed up the New England coast and I was so envious, I wished that I could be on that cruise. But the trip the other weekend to the seaport changed all that. The overhead was only six feet high and the beams were only about 5’ 6” and the hatches were even lower. I made a number of unlady like comments as I kept bumping my head… whack... whack... whack... G*d d**n, s*n of a b***h! Whack...

As usual I took a slew of photographs, but I wanted to show them to you and maybe give the feeling of traveling on the ship. (I took the liberty of change her from a whaling ship to one that carried passengers)

So set your “Wayback Machine” to the year 1880.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We arrived in town and we could see the masts from the ships in port...



As we arrive at the dock we can see our ship tied up with the other sailing ships…


As we carry our bags from the carriage we can get a good look at the ship…


Boarding the ship we walk past the wheelhouse and the chartroom off to the left, the stairs to below deck and is on the port side of the ship.


As we go below deck I sneak a peek at the captain’s lounge and his cabin, he even has his own bed  and head, luxuries that we won't have.



Well this will be our home for the next month month!


After we stored our bags we went back up on deck but we went through the cargo hole…


And we took a peek into the crew’s quarters, 27 seaman are crammed in this space!



On deck we could see another ship tied up, the square rigged Joseph Conrad...


We stood on deck while we got under way, this is probably the last look of land until we land in England.


No comments:

Post a Comment