Saturday, January 31, 2015

Saturday 9: Papa Loved Mama (1992)

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Papa Loved Mama (1992)

Every Saturday I take time off from written on serious topics to have some fun…

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Then try this. It's not very good quality, and it may have been pulled by the time you get over to it, because Garth doesn't like YouTube videos. Sorry.

1) This song is about a trucking "accident" that was covered extensively in the local paper. What's the big news story in your neighborhood?
In town the railroad station is being renovated and we will be one of the few stations on the New Haven – Springfield line to have bathrooms in the station,

2) The action centers around a motel. When is the last time you stayed in a hotel or motel?
Over Christmas when we had Christmas at my niece’s and nephew’s houses.

3) In the song, Papa wants to surprise Mama with a bottle of wine. Do you prefer white or red?
White, red gives me heartburn.

4) This week's featured artist, Garth Brooks, has said that the late Chris LeDoux -- singer, sculptor and rodeo champion -- is his hero. If you had to single out someone this morning as your hero, who would it be?
My science teacher in high school.

5) Before he was able to support himself as a singer, Brooks was a bouncer at a bar. Have you ever had an encounter with a bouncer (either that he threw you out or came to your aid)?
Nope, except I used to get dirty looks when I had my old driver licences

6) According to the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America), Garth surpassed The Beatles as the top selling artist of the last 25 years. Whose music do you listen to more -- Garth Brooks or the The Beatles?
The Beatles, I wouldn’t by choice listen to country music, I’m a sixties rock and roll person.

7) While 1992 was a banner year for Garth Brooks, it was a bad one for another country legend, Willie Nelson. Willie ended up paying the IRS more than $9,000,000. When you file your taxes, will you qualify for a refund? Or will you owe money?
A very small refund. I rather owe money then get a refund.

8) When this song was popular in 1992, Sarah Ferguson, then the Duchess of York, was in all the papers and magazines for her controversial conduct -- including being photographed sunbathing topless with a man not her husband. Today no one seems to care much about what Sarah Ferguson does. Can you think of someone else whose fame was fleeting?
Hmm… I can’t think of any one right now, I guess their fame was too fleeting.

9) This is Super Bowl weekend. Where will you be watching The Big Game?
What game? Is there some type of game this weekend? I thought it was just some big party weekend that people watched a game while partying.

Last weekend I was away at a conference in Waltham MA where I gave a workshop. I was worrying about the snow storm over the weekend so I drove up on Friday night.

9 comments:

  1. I'd take the little refund or break even, I hate to pay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the workshop was successful in spite of the weather.

    I'm with you on the music. I don't listen to country music by choice, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We (I co-presented with another social worker) had a small number of attendees but it was very productive. A couple was there and they were worried about their son's transition and going off to college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will take a refund over having to pay!

    Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you in Patriot Nation, too? Maine is just obsessed with the Pats and it's been hard to escape the past couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, for the family Christmas Yankee Swap I ended up with a Patriot's blanket.
    One house in town has a 6 foot Patriot's helmet and lit up in Christmas lights on their front yard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So the guy who checks IDs is also the bouncer? I never knew that! So I have met a bouncer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent take on the Super Bowl. The games usually are pretty bad as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Super Bowl answer is stupendous!! :-) Glad you made it safely home from your conference.

    Also, haven't really looked at your profile photo lately--you look GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete