Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Help! Any Ideas?

I am giving a workshop at a conference on transitioning in college in a couple of weeks so I am doing research on the topic.

As many of you know when I transitioned I was going for my master’s in social work at the University of Connecticut. I attended classes, as a non-matriculating student for a couple of semester before I actually transitioned. When I did apply to matriculation I had transitioned and legally changed my name, but my undergraduate records where all still in my male name.

While I was researching the workshop I came across this document at UConn, “University of Connecticut Gender Transition Guidelines” some of the material the document covers are Restroom Access, Concerns of co-workers and peers, Pronoun and Name Changes, and Rights to Privacy. They also discuss how to change, your name, your IDs, email account, and your student documents. UConn also has gender neutral housing and insurance coverage for trans people which includes hormones and Gender Confirming Surgery.

What I found interesting is the section on your name on your diploma,
Even without a legal name change, students are permitted to change the name listed on their diploma through the Student Administration System at: ________________. Please note that changing the name on an individual’s diploma, without more, will not change the name associated with all other official University records.
I wonder how many other colleges have a document like this?

I am developing a handout for the workshop; I’m going to list tip to help with transition. Do any of you have any tips about transitioning in college that I could pass along?

No comments:

Post a Comment