Sunday, December 28, 2014

It’s A Whole New World Out There…

…From when I was growing up. When I was a teenager I would never have dreamed that I would be able to transition in my life, let alone in school. But now kids are transitioning before they even enter kindergarten.

The only thing that I worry about is that so many of them are going public with their transition. If you google my name there is no doubt that I’m trans and the internet never forgets. These kids will always be out.
Living transgender in Boulder County: Self-love is the easy part, but true alliance can be hard to find
By Alex Burness
Daily Camera
POSTED:   12/27/2014

Before her third birthday, Shannon Axe already had an inkling that something was off.

She was born male but, even as a toddler, never felt comfortable with gendered clothing or toys, and didn't like being called by her birth name.

The word "transgender" was still years away from entering her lexicon, but, by kindergarten, she was certain that's what she was.

"People say, 'Oh, that's too young," said Shannon, now 14 and midway through eighth grade at Boulder's Horizons charter school. "But if you realize something this important, you know who you are. And I knew I was a girl."
I just worry about girls like Shannon and others who are out and in the news. Will they face job discrimination? Will they face harassment?

Don’t get me wrong, I am all in favor of their transitioning at an early age just being public about it. I once had a reporter call me at home, she found me by just the stuff out on the internet and that was very scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment