Monday, June 30, 2014

My Seven Year Anniversary…

Today is my seventh anniversary of my transition and if there is one thing that I learned is that coming out never ends. This is my “Coming Out Letter”
Hi

In September of 2006, they announced at work that they were closing down the factory in stages, beginning after the end of the first quarter of 2007. We saw the shutdown coming when they were not sending us any new orders and they were sending the work to other locations. In June of 2007, I was laid off. For me it worked out great, I was planning to retire in 2008 so with the severance package I was able to collect severance pay until just before I was eligible for early retirement in 2008. In addition, I received tuition reimbursement and I went back to college for my Masters

That is not the only changes that are taking place in my life. I was always the quite one, at parties or family gatherings. Well there was a reason for that, you see all through my life I was deeply troubled. I knew I was different and it wasn’t until I had my heart problems that I knew I had to act, that life was too short. Therefore, I sought counseling, with counseling and support groups, I have finally achieved self-acceptance. I now have a life, I have been going out to movies, plays, lectures, restaurants, getting involved in politics, went back to college, traveling and I made new friendships.

You see that I come to accept myself for who I am a transsexual. Some of my earliest memories were of feeling that I should have been born a girl. I remember when I was little saying my prayers at night, ending with pray that I would wake up as a girl and I use to cry myself to sleep. Now I have been on hormones since 2004 and when I was laid-off in June of 2007, I started living full time as “Diana.” Once I went full time, I had my name legally changed to Diana, changed all my paperwork and got a new driver’s license with an “F” on it.

Whatever is the cause of GID (Gender Identity Disorder is the medical term for transsexualism) I can tell you one thing and that is it is not a choice, I have been fighting this all my life and it is not something I would ever want. Life is hard and this doesn’t make it any easier, but I am happier and I am getting out enjoying life. Since coming out I has been very active; I have given lectures at colleges (including Yale, UConn School of Law and the School of Medicine), I have helped out on Ned Lamont’s campaign for U.S. senate, I have lobbied Congress in Washington and helped out at various non-profit organizations in the area. I am currently on the steering committee of a coalition that is trying to change the Anti-Discrimination laws in Connecticut and I have testified three times before the Judiciary Committee. I have been interviewed by the Hartford Courant and have been on the radio and television. In addition, I am graduate student UConn School of Social Work Master’s program and my concentration is in Community Organizing. As you can see I am no longer just sitting around the house, now it is a rare evening that I am home.

I know that this is hard for you to understand and it is hard for me to understand this, if you need to talk you can call me at ____________ or email me at ___________. 
Diana
This is one of the letters that I received from my cousins…
Diana,

The last time we saw you was at your father's funeral. It was actually the first time in my memory that we had spent any real time together. I remarked to [her husband] as we were leaving what a warm and charming host you were and how sorry I was that I never knew you well. Now I understand better why. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I, in turn, shared your letter with my children who, as parents themselves, need to be reminded of the importance of accepting their children as they are. whatever their differences may be. To see from another person’s point of view is always enlightening. We admire your courage and rejoice in your new life.

[My cousin]
I have been so very lucky; many trans-people have lost their family and friends when they came out, but I had the love and support of my family and that went a long way to making me through my transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment