Thursday, February 06, 2014

I Just Got Back From a LGBT Chamber of Commerce Breakfast

I have been attending a LGBT chamber of commerce off and on for a number of years now as a representative of a non-profit that I am on the Board. I used to attend every month but now I attend every couple of months, this month the meeting was in the next town over so I decided to attend.

There was a guest speaker there who talked about her income tax preparer business, after her talk I pointed out that transition related medical expenses were tax deductible. This also includes breast augmentation as long as you have a letter from your doctor or therapist saying it was medically necessary to transition related expenses.

I also met a classmate from the School of Social Work there, it was his first meeting as a representative from another non-profit, we talked about how our organizations were doing and shared some of the things that we found that helped our organizations.

I feel it is important that I attend these meetings because we are the only trans-organization in the chamber and I think it is good to network with other LGB organizations to “show the flag” and keep them aware of trans-issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment