Thursday, December 19, 2013

Last Night’s Outreach.

Before we got started they had dinner for us which was Indian take-out. I never had Indian before and it was interesting; they had some type of yellow cabbage, lentil beans, and seasoned chicken which was kind of like barbeque chicken and you ate it with a type of bread, I think she called it Paratha. It was all very good, but I wasn’t that fond of the cabbage. We ate while we watched the movie "Cruel and Unusual: Transgender Women in Prison (USA)" it was a very emotional movie to watch. The trouble was I know of a number of trans-women who went through what the movie described, so it was too close to home.

After the movie I gave a comment on what the video meant to me and how I know people who had the same experience. The audience consisted of med and dental students, staff, and a mixture of other medical people. There was also a doctor on the “panel” with me who treats a number of trans-patients in the area. The doctor answered the medical question and I answered the questions on transition, socioeconomic questions, and definitions. One woman wanted to know about how you can ask a patient if they are transgender and the doctor answered a question on how to fill out medical records and how to code them so that the insurance would pay. I answered that question by saying that I get my hormones covered because my “ovaries” are not producing enough estrogen.

The movie was just about an hour long and the Q&A session was also about an hour long. Afterward, one woman came up to me and said that her partner attended grad school with me and told her to say “Hi” to me. It’s a small world.



No comments:

Post a Comment