Saturday, November 09, 2013

Saturday 9: Potential New Boyfriend

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Potential New Boyfriend



Unfamiliar with this week's featured song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Dolly Parton locks eyes with a definite maybe. What's the first thing that attracts you to a potential new boyfriend or girlfriend? If you're currently in a relationship, what first attracted you to your partner?
Their smile… well maybe their whole face. I think we read their eyes, smile and the warmth that their face shows.

2) When Dolly was still a very young girl, she met Johnny Cash, who told her to follow her instincts and pursue a music career. Obviously this worked out very well for her. What's the best advice you ever received?
Plastics!
No, really it was to follow your passion in work. Do what you like doing.

3) Dolly enjoys telling interviewers how she met her husband at the Wishy-Washy Laundromat in Nashville. Do you have a load of dirty clothes, or some other household chore, waiting for you after you finish this week's Saturday 9?
No, since I retired I spread the chores out over the whole week. One day towels, one day vacuuming, etc.

4) Dolly's Imagination Library is a charity devoted to children's literacy. What book did you enjoy as a kid? Or, if you're a parent, what book did you enjoy sharing with your own children?
I never read when I was a kid. I always thought all books were like Withering Heights, it wasn’t until I discovered science fiction that I started reading.

5) Dolly's theme park, Dollywood, is a very popular vacation destination. When you have time off, would you rather travel or have friends/relatives visit you?
Every day is time off, so I do all of those.

6) Dolly is godmother to Miley Cyrus. If you could advise Miley, what would you say?
Grow up.

7) Dolly has earned a reputation for being very warm and friendly to the public. Have you ever had a celebrity encounter?
Nope, if you mean actors or actresses or musician… well now that I think about it yes. I shared a taxi ride to the National Press Club in Washington DC with one of the Doc Severinsen Band members, but I didn’t know it at the time.
 
8) As you can see by the photo, this song was originally released on vinyl. Do you still have any old-school LPs or 45s?
Yes, I still have my whole record collection. Now if I only had a way to play them. The last time I turned on my record player the belts broke, I suppose if I get off my butt I could find replacement belts.

9) Sam simply cannot stand Dish TV's Hopper commercial, where hysterical grown men hide under the bed and up in a tree house because they're afraid of ... something. What commercial just bugs the beejeesus out of you?
I don’t know, I tune them out or channel surf

5 comments:

  1. I have no way to play my LPs either. Maybe we should all ask for those LP/CD converter things from Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your answer to #2--the first part made me laugh and then think that I need to listen to some Simon & Garfunkel, and the second part is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved The Graduate reference!

    It's "Wuthering Heights," not "Withering." Named for an estate. Bronte published it using a man's name because no one was interested in anything written by a woman. I appreciate that the language might have made it difficult for a kid to slog through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I donated my record collection when I made the transition to CDs, now I am making the transition to downloading music. What will become of my CDs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm like you with the channel surfing. I really hate those commercials- especially when they are louder than the show itself.

    ReplyDelete