Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Some Thoughts On Marriage.

With New Jersey becoming the fourteenth state to have marriage equality and in Tennessee four couples are suing in federal court saying that their constitutional rights to due process, equal protection have been violated; is the handwriting on the wall? Will the Supreme Court eventually rule that every state must grant marriage equality?

I think not.

In 1967 the Supreme Court ruled unanimously in Loving v. Virginia that a marriage in one state must be recognized in all of the states. An interracial couple was married in Washington D.C. and lived in Virginia where they were arrested and convicted of violating the anti-miscegenation statute. The Supreme Court overturned the conviction declaring that a legal marriage must be recognized in all states.

I think the Robert’s court is too conservative and too into states’ rights to issue a sweeping ruling that would force marriage equality on all of the states. I think that the court will look for some way to weasel out doing the right thing.

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment