Tuesday, September 10, 2013

World Suicide Prevention Day

For me suicide has struck close to home. Before I transitioned I never knew anyone who had committed or tried to commit suicide. Now I know of three people who have and I lost count of those who have tried.

A recent national survey of trans-people found that 41% of trans-people have tried to commit suicide.

WebMD list these warning signs…
Warning signs that someone may be thinking about or planning to commit suicide include:
  •     Always talking or thinking about death
  •     Clinical depression -- deep sadness, loss of interest, trouble sleeping and eating -- that gets worse
  •     Having a "death wish," tempting fate by taking risks that could lead to death, such as driving fast or running red lights
  •     Losing interest in things one used to care about
  •     Making comments about being hopeless, helpless, or worthless
  •     Putting affairs in order, tying up loose ends, changing a will
  •     Saying things like "it would be better if I wasn't here" or "I want out"
  •     Sudden, unexpected switch from being very sad to being very calm or appearing to be happy
  •     Talking about suicide or killing one's self
  •     Visiting or calling people to say goodbye
If you have suicidal thoughts please seek help.

No comments:

Post a Comment