Thursday, July 11, 2013

Memories

I’m reading a book written by a friend on marketing to the LGBT community and how a business can be LGB friendly, well it brought memories of when I came out at work. I didn’t transition at work but I was out to the general manager, the HR director and her assistant.

As a supervisor and the head of the safety committee I had a lot of interaction with the HR director and we were friends. One Friday afternoon in January 2007 just before quitting time, I was in her office talking about personnel matters and she asked me what I had planned for the weekend. I told her that I was going to a semi-formal fundraiser for a non-profit and she said, “Oh are you going to be wearing a tux?” I paused for a second and said, “No, not really… let me tell you a story” and that was when I came out to her. About 2 hours later when I finished telling her my story and doing a “Trans 101” we were the last ones to leave the building and locked up. The first words out of her mouth when I finished was “There is a sale at Syms and the dresses are 33% off.”

Later I came out to the general manager when I was asked to be a back-up guest on NPR in case they couldn’t get their main guest in time. Then shortly before I was laid-off when the factory closed we told the HR director’s assistant.


No comments:

Post a Comment