Sunday, July 21, 2013

Following The Links (Part 1)

Many times when I read something on the internet I research related topics that is what brought me to this web-page. On WPATH elist there is a discussion on “Transgender Care Certification Program.” I googled the subject and what I found is that there are no standards in the care of trans-patients. Some of the certificate programs are 8 hours while others are 24 hours and one even offers a six day training program.

In other medical flied there are defined training requirements that professional need to have before they are certified by a professional organization. What do you think? Should professional associations like the AMA, APA, NASW and the Endocrine Society have requirements for their members to get a certificate in Trans-Healthcare?

Also there are a number of companies that offer to teach Cultural Competence who are not giving be trans-people. I think that is like a white person teaching black culture, there are many qualified trans-people who are capable of teaching trans-culture. Do you think trans-culture should be taught by a trans-person? 

No comments:

Post a Comment