Thursday, April 18, 2013

Tomorrow.

Tomorrow I will be at the Connecticut chapter of the National Association of Social Worker’s conference all day and I will be giving a workshop.

When I was planning on retiring I was looking for something that I could do to help the trans*community and when I asked friends what is the best way to help the trans-community they said to go into social work. My reply was always, “I’m not a people person.” Then one day I asked another friend the question and when they said social work, I gave my usual reply but she answered that not all social workers are therapists. She said that she is a social worker and her specialty is community organizing. As fate would have, that afternoon when I was picking up the mail for the support group that I was director of at the time there was a booklet from the UConn School of Social Work about something called the S.T.E.P. program.

To make a long story short, I signed up for a class and liked it and I when on get my Master’s in social work.

Tomorrow my workshop is…
A Look at the Culture of the Transgender Community

This workshop will look at the transgender culture from both micro and macro perspective, and the workshop will examine the differences and similarities between sexual orientation and gender identity. The workshop will then cover, from the Marco perspective, the barriers that society has erected against the transgender community.
The Code of Ethics for social workers states,
1.05 Cultural Competence and Social Diversity

(c) Social workers should obtain education about and seek to understand the nature of social diversity and oppression with respect to race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, political belief, religion, immigration status, and mental or physical disability.
I think as a trans*woman and a social worker that I bring a unique perspective to the understanding of our culture.

The conference organizers asked me to introduce the presenter and her panel at one of the workshops that I’m attending. I am not nervous about giving my presentation, but I am nervous about introducing her, she is the former Dean of the School of Social Work and the head of the Nancy A. Humphreys Institute for Political Social Work. I attended her annual two day workshop on running a political campaign. I feel kind like an employee introducing the boss and worrying not to flub their lines.

As of last night I am told that 31 people signed up for my workshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment