Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Mean

Every once in a while I come across a story of just out and out bigotry and this story is one of those stories…
Students, Teacher at Indiana High School Demand ‘Traditional Prom’ Without Gay Kids
Gawker
Neetzan Zimmerman   
Feb 11, 2013

Students, parents, and at least one teacher at Sullivan High School in Sullivan, Indiana, have come together in support for a "traditional prom" that prohibits gays from attending.

Those who met yesterday at the Sullivan First Christian Church to discuss the possibility of holding a "separate but equal" prom say others agree with their idea but are reluctant to speak up.
Separate is never equal!

This is not new; down in Mississippi at Itawamba Agricultural High School they had a secret prom and hid it from a lesbian student. Back in April 2010 I wrote about the “Meanest Town in America” and posted this from a newspaper
To avoid Constance McMillen bringing a female date to her prom, the teen was sent to a "fake prom" while the rest of her class partied at a secret location at an event organized by parents.
[…]
"They had two proms and I was only invited to one of them," McMillen says. "The one that I went to had seven people there, and everyone went to the other one I wasn’t invited to."
The seven students at the prom were the lesbian couple and special needs students at the school. Constance later was invited to the White House by President Obama to the gay pride celebration there.

My blood pressure soars when I read articles like these I cannot fathom the bigotry that they have in their souls.
"I believe that it was life circumstances and they chose to be that way; God created everyone equal," said special ed teacher Diana Medley. "Homosexual students come to me with their problems, and I don't agree with them, but I care about them. It's the same thing with my special needs kids, I think God puts everyone in our lives for a reason."
So do I believe that “God puts everyone in our lives for a reason." And the reason that I believe that I and other LGBT people are here is to teach tolerance and understanding. That God didn’t put LGBT people here to test them but to test others on how they treat us. A lesson that Diana Medley has not learned.

1 comment:

  1. I just heard about this today and I was saddened and shocked.

    ReplyDelete