Sunday, December 23, 2012

Are We Becoming Obsolete - Part2?

Last Wednesday I wrote about a commentary by Riki Wilchins about children today coming out earlier now than when I was young. I didn’t mean that no one would come out later in life but that there was a shift towards coming out in early childhood. “In my day” we never had any positive role models we never even heard of trans-people except as adults and never in a positive light.

We would never have seen an article like this,
Don We Now Our Gay Apparel: My Son’s Christmas Dress
Queerty
J.C. Mother
December 20, 2012

It was the most sincere display of appreciation that my 5-year-old son has ever shown. He looked me straight in the eyes and said a very mature “thank you.”  The words were full of honesty, relief, happiness and a little bit of anguish.

“You’re welcome, baby,” I said looking at him with a smile and masking the pain I was feeling.  “You look so pretty.”

My gender-creative son was thanking me for buying him a dress to wear to Christmas Eve dinner.
[…]
My husband and I changed the way we were parenting. There was something unique about our son that we could choose to support or destroy.  We had to follow his lead.  He led us to the pink aisles at Target; and, that’s not a dangerous, harmful, unhealthy place for a boy to be.
A story like this would never have been published not even in a “Gay” magazine; it would have been thought to be child abuse. Or a show like Barbara Walter’s 20/20 would never have ever explored gender diversity. An example of the types of show that was broadcast back then just look at the Mike Wallace show on homosexuals and how he portrayed them.

Many trans-people my age have said that they knew at a very early age that they were trans but that they were afraid to come out, now I feel that a lot of that stigma is going away. That does not mean that trans-people will not come out later in life but what I feel it means there may be less come-out later in life. If we look at the gay and lesbian communities we still see people coming out in their 30s, 40s and later in life.


No comments:

Post a Comment