Tuesday, August 14, 2012

What Would You Do With $105 Million Dollars?

Well if you were Linda McMahon you will try to get elected to the U.S. Senate, not once, but twice.

 John Avlon writes in the Daily Beast... 
 Linda McMahon, who helped build the World Wrestling Entertainment empire with her husband Vince. McMahon, who’s never held office, lost the 2010 senate race despite the Tea Party tide and spending more than $40 million of her own fortune.

This year, she’s set to spend a reported $65 million.
Meanwhile her opponent Chris Shays says...
Shays has tried to combat that onslaught with a $1.5 million budget and the backing of virtually every major Connecticut newspaper.

“Linda McMahon wouldn't even get to first base if she didn't have 65 million to spend. I mean that’s the bottom line,” says Shays. “You clearly can buy a convention, but it’s harder to buy a primary and much harder to buy the general election. And that's why she's going to lose the general election.”
My vote is for another Chris, Chris Murphy.

In 2008 when I was lobby down in Washington DC for the gender inclusive Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), we met with his staff even though he is not our representative. We were from the 1st Congressional District and he represents the 5th.

The first time that I met him was in a meeting in Hartford, he wanted to talk to Connecticut LGBT organizations and I was there representing the Connecticut TransAdvocacy Coalition. We talked for a couple of hours on Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell (DADT), Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and ENDA. When I left the meeting I felt he had a strong commitment to pass these bills and he has a strong sense of social justice for the LGBT community. (An aside… at the meeting just about half of the people at the meeting had or were in the process of getting their MSW.)

I have also met Susan Bysiewicz who is running against Chris Murphy in the Connecticut Democratic primary race and she is also very supportive of the LGBT community, but I don’t think she has that good of a chance against the McMahon juggernaut.

Update: I wrote this last night and I tried using Blogger "Schedule" to post now. I think that is neat, now when I go away I can still post blogs


No comments:

Post a Comment