Thursday, May 03, 2012

My Story Part 117 – Coming Out At Work

I transitioned after I was laid-off when they closed down the factory in 2007, but I came out at work in January of 2006. I was beginning to talk around the state at colleges and universities on panels, also I was going out more in public as Diana and I thought it might be a good idea to tell Human Resources. I had known the HR manager for over 25 years and was friends with her. Because I was a supervisor I was in her office several times a week, so I knew form our talks that she was pro-LGBT.

So one Friday just before 3:30 as we were finishing up the meeting, she asked me what I was doing for the weekend and I said that I was going to a semiformal fundraiser. She said, oh are you getting a Tux? I debated what to say or if she asked what organization the fundraiser was for (The Hartford LGBT Community Center), and I decided that it was time to tell the truth. I told her, not really… let me tell you a story.

I started to tell her about my being trans and after about a half hour of me talking; I will never forget what she said, “They are having a 30% off for dresses at Syms this week.” Talk about total acceptance, that comment told more than anything else she could have said about supporting me.

So why am I telling this story now? Well right now I am heading off to Windsor to the main office to meet with her and three other friends from work for lunch. We meet two or three times a year, some are still working and others have retired like me.

Update 3:00
I just got back from lunch and it was so hard to leave everyone afterward. It was great seeing again and having lunch with the gang.

1 comment:

  1. That's something I probably would have said, too--about the sale. You know I'm a shopper!

    Glad you had a nice lunch with friends. :-)

    ReplyDelete