Thursday, January 19, 2012

My Story Part 104 – What Me Worry?

I am having a lot of routine medical test lately and that always raises concerns about how I will be treated by the medical staff. Not only do I worry about the outcome of the tests but I also worry about how I will be treated by the medical and clerical staff. Today I had my annual mammogram and my anxiety levels go up… how will I be treated? Will other patient say anything?

If you read the surveys you will see that I am not worrying over nothing. And it is not just the national surveys; it is how friends have been treated by the medical staff. A friend who went to the same medical facility where I’m going for some test, her doctor refused to put her in the women’s ward, which is in direct violation of Connecticut law. Another friend went a different hospital when she slipped and fell on some ice, in the emergency room when they found out that she was trans, they sent her home without taking x-ray and she could hear the medical staff saying, “you deal with It, I don’t want to treat It.” When she went to her GP the next day, he sent her for x-rays and they found she had broken her back in multiply places.

So I think that I am justified in worrying about how they will treat as a patient. Last year the x-ray technician treated with respect and joked, “welcome to the world of womanhood, isn’t it great!” as she was squeezing my breast into the x-ray machine for my mammogram. I have been lucky so far and I’ll like to think that is the norm.

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck to you! I hope you have a similar experience to the last time you had one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it goes well and you have great results. :-)

    ReplyDelete