Friday, September 16, 2011

Saturday 9: Tuesday Afternoon

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Tuesday Afternoon



1. Where will you be and doing this Tuesday afternoon?
Sitting in the Function Room at Hartford City Hall for a Commission meeting

2. Do you belong to any group(s)?

Several and I am on the Board of Directors of a non-profit

3. Do you feel energized or drained by being in a group situation? (If the answer is "it depends," on what does it depend?)

It depends, some people keep rambling on and on off topic.

4. Is there a role you naturally put yourself while adapting when in group situations?
Listener, I tend to listen and absorb the facts before I speak. Unlike the ramblers who rather talk to hear themselves talk.

5. In business or formal situations, do you mind hugs or are you offended if it goes past a handshake?
It depends, I usually like handshakes. But sometimes when it is in a formal setting and the other person is in the seat of power (like the chairman or a political figure) they use the “hug” to show that they approve of you (unless you are Julius Caesar, then a hug might get you a knife in the back).

6. Do you find what we'd call “ice breakers” a playful way to build community in a lighthearted manner, or a complete and utter hell of forced fun and awkwardness?
I hate ice breakers!!!!!!!! I had to use them when I ran a meeting during my internship. Yes, they have their advantages to get group dynamics going, but only for a causal group.
I’m use to business meetings… can you imagine starting a meeting with the VP, general manager, project engineer and the customers equivalent staff there and the VP says, “OK we are now going think of an animal that we want to be and why.” I think that would go over like a lead balloon.

7. What word do you use far too frequently?
Um. Um let me see I understand that. Um. I think Um that Um…

8. What word do you use not frequently enough?
Hmmm… that is a tough question because if I knew I would use it more. I like to listen first and get a consensus. When I’m supervising I don’t order people, I ask them and I always thank them.

9. What word do you use when swearing is not appropriate?
Darn nab it! Or “fiddle sticks”

4 comments:

  1. I was asked once at a job interview what animal I'd like to be and why. I said "An eagle so I could fly out of your office." I got the job. Worse yet, I took it. That question was the best part...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really dread having to do cheesy ice breakers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bud,

    I would have an Eagle and mention something about eliminating bodily function on people who ask stupid questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely, listening first is the key. Let the dummies battle things out first.

    Have a great day!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2011/09/what-the-fudge/

    ReplyDelete