Thursday, September 08, 2011

My Story Part 90

This week it is not about me, it is about all of the people who have tried to or have commit suicide. This week is national suicide prevention week.

Before I came out I never knew anyone who committed suicide, unfortunately that is not the case anymore. Since I have come out, one acquaintances has committed suicide and three others have tried it. Through the support group that I attend and the public speaking at schools and colleges that I do, I have learned that so many of my acquaintances have attempted suicide that I have lost count. I have seen their scares on their wrists.

A national survey of transgender people found that,
A staggering 41% of respondents reported attempting suicide compared to 1.6% of the general population, with rates rising for those who lost a job due to bias (55%), were harassed/bullied in school (51%), had low household income, or were the victim of physical assault (61%) or sexual assault (64%).
From the National Suicide Prevention web-site,
What Are The Warning Signs For Suicide?
These signs may mean someone is at risk for suicide. Risk is greater if a behavior is new or has increased and if it seems related to a painful event, loss, or change. Seek help as soon as possible by contacting a mental health professional or by calling the Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) if you or someone you know exhibits any of the following signs:

Talking about wanting to die or to kill oneself.
Looking for a way to kill oneself, such as searching online or buying a gun.
Talking about feeling hopeless or having no reason to live.
Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain.
Talking about being a burden to others.
Increasing the use of alcohol or drugs.
Acting anxious or agitated; behaving recklessly.
Sleeping too little or too much.
Withdrawing or feeling isolated.
Showing rage or talking about seeking revenge.
Displaying extreme mood swings.
Here are two important phone numbers,

National Suicide Prevention Hotline… 1-888-628-9454

For LGBT Youth… The Trevor Lifeline at 1-866-488-7386

No comments:

Post a Comment