Monday, March 28, 2011

Party Time! The COS Banquet

Last Saturday night was the annual Connecticut Outreach Society’s Banquet. Each year COS has their annual banquet and this year was their no exception. I remember the awe and wonder when I attended my first banquet, but now the glitz has worn off. I had a good time, but after dinner all I wanted to do is sleep. I don’t know if it was because of the steak, since I rarely have steak anymore and it made me sleepy or I am not just use to staying up late. Maybe it was because I attend a number of banquets each year and this becomes just another banquet. Or that the music was too loud to talk. Or that I’m just a morning person. What every the reason, I left at 10:30 when the music got loud and it was still going strong when I left.

However, for many of the COS members, this was the event of the year. They get to dress up in their finest clothes and go out for a night out on the town. It is their chance to be themselves just for the night in a relatively safe space. I say relatively safe space because in the past we had so incidents and last night we shared the hotel with a couple of religious groups, which made it interesting. Nothing happened just some humorous wide eyed expressions.

Ethan St. Pierre gave a great speech about the "Community" on how we are all interconnected to one another by a common bond. How that bond unites us and is shown by all of use being there at the banquet and the friendships that have resulted.

Anyway, to sum up the banquet, I think that what a spouse wrote on Facebook about you can tell that everyone had a good time sums it up best,
“……..on piles of shoes near the dance floor”
”that’s how you can tell it’s a great party”

Photo by my friend Stana

1 comment: