Saturday, October 23, 2010

An Outreach This Afternoon

This afternoon I will be going to a church to talk about discrimination. All you hear in the news are about churches that damn LGBT people, but there are many churches that are affirming. They believe in inclusion, not exclusion. They don’t make the news, only the churches that preach hate are being interviewed on the news channel. An affirming church isn’t controversial and the news stations thrive on controversy so there voices do not get heard. All around the state there are many supportive churches, some hold support groups in their parish house, and some have trans-people on their parish councils, while others open their doors to everyone regardless of their sexual orientation or gender expression.

I know many LGBT people who were thrown out of their churches and became suicidal, only to turn to open and affirming churches and find their way again.

The Manchester pastor asked me to come and talk about the effects of discrimination, and about trying to pass the anti-discrimination legislation. I have met the pastor before when I was at my first year internship and he was helping to pass the legislation. Now today he wants me to talk to a group of kids about my experiences.

I am not a religious person, but I understand and respect the need of religion. I believe in God. I believe in a loving and caring God. Not a hateful and vengeful God.

2 comments:

  1. What an important audience. I'm sure you'll broaden many horizons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful that you are dedicating time and energy to this cause. As a positive role model, you bring a lot of community service, not just for "Trans", but for anyone who is usually not tolerated by the religious conservatives. As a pagan, I deal with negative stereotypes in the media and socially. Ignorance is not bliss as people may think.
    Good luck and best wishes on your sharing and caring.

    ReplyDelete