Thursday, October 22, 2009

The UConn Human Rights Conference

The next couple of days I will be at a conference, on Friday I will be at the UConn School Law and on Saturday I will be up at the main campus in Storrs for the Human Rights conference. They have a couple of panel discussion that I want to attend.

On Friday, I want to attend these thrilling panel discussions that I know will keep me on the edge of me seat, “Economic Rights and Poverty” and “Mobilizing and Legislating for a Human Rights Based Approach to Welfare.” In no way was my decision to attend these discussions based on the fact that one of my professors is on the panel.

Saturday’s conference will be held on the main campus in Storrs and I want to attend two panel discussions in the morning, “Implementing Human Rights at the Local Level.” In the afternoon I want to attend “Neither Separate Nor Equal: Human Rights and the Rights of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered Individuals in the United States”

It should be interesting to see if the LGBT panel discusses any “T” issues. The description says…

This panel will address lingering inequalities for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) people in the United States, including the ramifications of unequal access to health care, insurance and financial benefits; protections against bias-motivated harassment which vary by state and do not currently exist at the federal level; the lack of legal recognition for marriages and unions between same sex couples; and ongoing legislation and initiatives to deny rights to LGBT individuals and couples.

What is interesting about the conference is that many of the authors of my textbooks will be on the panels. And in all honesty, I think that all the panels discussions that I am going to attend does hold some interest for me. My main interest is in the last panel in LGBT rights, but I just didn't want to attend that one panel.

No comments:

Post a Comment