Thursday, October 08, 2009

My Story Part 3

I was just starting to come out of the closet in 1999. In the spring I had a heart problem that sent me to the emergency room. Between the time I called 911 and the ambulance came, I had to change from Diana back into Don. That night laying in the emergency room I realized that life was too short.

In the fall of 1999 for the first time in my life, I went outside of my house as Diana. I had summoned enough courage to go to the Connecticut Outreach Society (COS) support group for transgender people. I had contacted COS earlier by email and they told me that the meeting would be next Saturday, so I summoned up all my courage and went to the meeting. However, they told me the wrong weekend! No one else was there! I had to once again gather up my courage to go the following Saturday, however, when I walked in to the meeting hall and looked around, for the first time in my life I realized that I wasn’t alone. The feeling was indescribable, like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders

The group had an “Outing” (pun intended) at a local boutique where they held one of the monthly meeting and the support group had the whole store to ourselves. However, I had to walk across the strip mall’s parking lot to get to the store. Well, I sat in the car crying because I couldn’t summon the courage to get out of the car and walk across the parking lot.

In the spring of 2000, I went to the support groups annual banquet at a hotel in Waterbury for the first time and I stayed overnight. I signed in as Don, but I had to go down to the banquet as Diana. So I listen through the door to hear if I heard anyone in the hallway and when I thought the way was clear I left the room and I hoped that the elevator was empty. They held the next years banquet in the same hotel, but the following year they moved it to a hotel in Windsor Locks. The 2002 banquet was a nightmare for me. my father had fell down a few weeks earlier and was in a nursing home recovering and was to be discharged that morning. Like all medical facilities, it was delayed until the afternoon. Here is what I wrote in my diary the next day after the banquet,

I was thrown off my schedule to go to the banquet. As a result of it I got a headache and rushed off to the hotel. I got there at five thirty instead of four o’clock. While I was changing I found out that one of my contacts had a corner torn off of it, another aggravation to add to my headache. Also, as I was walking across the lobby, there was a guy registering at the desk. He started laughing and made a rude comment about me. That didn’t help either.
The banquet was nice, but I really couldn’t get into it. However, I did stay until one o’clock (Standard time) and help pack up the sound equipment. I didn’t sleep well and I got up at six (Savings time), checked out and went home took two Advil PM and slept till noon.


You can see in the photo that a friend took of me, that I am down in the dumps, that guy’s comments really brought me down. I didn’t go out in public for almost a year afterward, it took a long time to recover my self-esteem. Even to this day, I have a hard time going into some locations, like auto parts stores or other places there is a lot testosterone flowing.

3 comments:

  1. I had no idea the transitional process could take so long! Course, I'm a spontaneous kinda gal and do things at the drop of a dime...
    What a story! Thanks for sharing :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome peak into your life, Di!!!

    I remember you being scared to go out in public and fearing comments from rude people. Now you have been on TV and in the papers multiple times.

    You have come far and it now shows as your confidence has markedly increased. Good for you, Girlfriend!!!

    ReplyDelete