Saturday, February 28, 2009

Last Night – Sometimes You Do Make A Difference

I wrote in Friday’s Fill-ins that I was going to “talk on the Anti-Discrimination bill to some church elders.” Well that turned out not to be quite true, I got the message a little garbled. When I got the phone call telling me about the meeting, he didn’t make it clear what the meeting was about. I heard parish house and talking on the Anti-Discrimination bill and in my mind I connected the dots in between. What it turned out to be was even more personally fulfilling.

It was at a parish house, but it was with a parent who son just came out to the family and the parent wanted to help pass the Anti-Discrimination bill. But, more importantly he was looking for information on how he could find support for himself and his daughter. I was joined at the meeting by the person who invited me and two other families who had children who had transitioned. Sometimes what a parent needs to learn is that they are not alone, that other families have found their way through this difficult time. In addition, the families also agreed to standup together to testify at the hearing for the bill and to attend lobby day.

It felt good to see that in some small way I made a difference.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, Di!!! You were there for someone who needed it!!! Thanx, Sis!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I'm so glad you were contacted for something so great! Way to go, one family at a time and you can make change happen!

    ReplyDelete