Sunday, January 18, 2009

Saturday 9: The First Apartment

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: The First Apartment



1. Where had you moved from?
I moved from Milford CT to my present town in 1955 and when I moved out of my parent’s house, I moved two miles away.

2. Describe your first apartment.
It was on Avenue A in Rochester NY and it was the bottom floor of a two family house. On the second floor were two lesbians and they sold pot out of their apartment, their boyfriends were in Attica prison. (I know it complicated, but it is a city.) Across the street was a family that had a shrine of Jesus on their front lawn and at least once a week the police was over there for domestic violence. Ah…the joys of living in a city.

3. How old were you when you had your apartment?
I was in college.

4. Did you have roommates? If yes, tell us more.

Yes, there were seven of us living in a three-bedroom apartment. Two girls and five guys (it was not a “love nest” (my father's term) we all had single beds.), one guy slept in the pantry. (it was converted into a bedroom.)

5. What was your place of employment then?

We were all in college at the time.

6. How were you finances at the time?
Our finances were slim to none. However, the rent was right, $75 each.

7. Tell us about a lover who spent a night there.

There was no privacy there.

8. Tell us about a band you listen to then. (You can cheat. Look it up.)
The Grateful Dead, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Blue Oyster Cult, Jimmy Hendrix, Cream, Steppenwolf, Credence Clearwater Revival, etc. We use to sit around in the living room with black lights, black light posters on the wall, incense burning, and smoking weed. And saying real heavy things like “Far Out Man,” “Oh Wow” and “Dynamite” (Hmmm… do you think that might have had anything to do with me being on academic probation for three semesters?)

9. How long did you live there and why did you move from there?

I graduated, got a job back in Connecticut and went back to the real world to become a electrical engineer. I lived there for one semester during the summer to make up the courses that I flunked.

1 comment:

  1. lesbians with boyfriends? Hmmm...sounds contradictory LOL! But I saw you said it was complicated :-)

    ReplyDelete