Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Breach of Trust

Yesterday when I came home from work I found that a flowerpot was missing from my front porch, I had some mums in it by my front door. It was a beige flowerpot with Indian symbols and decorations around the top.

My mother got that flowerpot way back in the sixties when we were visiting the Great Smokey’s National Park. She saw the pot at one of those road side stands, it was a Cherokee stand, and my mother fell in love with it; she had it on her front porch ever since. When she passed away, I got the pot and I carried on the tradition, until last night when it was stolen.

I think what affected me most was not the loss of the pot, but the breach trust I had in the neighborhood. I always felt that you could count on your neighbors to look out for one another and when you find out that one of the neighbors is a thief, you look at your neighbors differently. I feel that something more was stolen, my innocence’s.

6 comments:

  1. That stinks! The culprit was probably some kids gearing up for Halloween. They so would not be getting candy from me after that stunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was an adult, it was not smashed but carried off and it weighed about 10 -15 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me sad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was an awful thing for you to experience, Di. Some wonderful memories of your Mom and that great vacation were violated. I am sorry for you.
    It's a very hard lesson to learn. Life just doesn't seem fair sometimes.
    luvs, Deja

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really sorry to see this.

    It's a shame that your sense and security of community was violated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear this. It really makes me wonder what is wrong with people and why they act so cruel sometimes.

    ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete