Monday, June 23, 2008

How I Spent My Day Today

It was so much fun (sic). I spend it in Probate Court waiting for some paperwork on my father’s estate.
It turns out that my father had an insurance policy that no one knew about. A couple of weeks ago, A letter came from an insurance company for my father explaining their privacy policy… Hun? What policy?
After calling the insurance company, navigating their phone tree and getting sent from one office to another I finally go hold of someone who knew what I was talking about. He said I needed a copy of the Probate Court order assigning an administrator for my father’s estate…
“What’s that?”
“It’s a paper with the name of executor of the estate.”
“We never got one, only papers telling us how much we owe in taxes”
“Well I need a paper that says who the executor is.”
“We never got one.”
“Well I need one.”
So it was off to the Probate Court and after two hours, I got the paper naming me (Diana) the administratrix of his estate for purpose of the insurance policy. And there in lies the rub, the policy is in the name of Donald L. not Diana L. So everywhere, they wrote Diana L. they also wrote AKA Donald L. and I attacked my Probate Court Order for my name change to the paperwork that I sent to the insurance company.
In a couple of days I expect a phone call from the insurance company asking what is this all about and I will have to explain to them that I am trans.
It is so much fun being trans. (sic)

I do not know why this insurance company needs to see paperwork about the administrator, none of the other insurance companies wanted to see it. All they wanted was a copy of the Death Certificate.

2 comments:

  1. "I do not know why this insurance company needs to see paperwork about the administrator, none of the other insurance companies wanted to see it."

    When they are paying out millions of dollars, they are a little more careful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish it was that large of a policy, but my guess it is only $5000.

    Also since the Probate Court was not interested in any additional tax liability on my father's estate, I do not see why the insurance would need the information.

    ReplyDelete