Monday, January 14, 2008

Manic Monday

Manic Monday for January 14, 2008


Which sex do you think has it easier in our culture? Have you ever wished you were the opposite sex?

Well I think that both of the genders have their own pluses and minuses (If we assume a binary model.). Men have to play the part of the macho man and never show emotions, while women have to play the caring and nurturing part. If you do not fit the traditional model, our culture tries to force you. Examples of this is the man who wants to be a ballet dancer (do we even a have masculine word for a ballerina?) what is the first thought you have about him? Look at all the comments about Hillary Clinton; when she cried everyone said she does not have what it takes to run a county in a crisis or when she is affirming, that she is too aggressive.
I think answer to the second part of the question is quite oblivious. I never really was a man and I never really will be a woman. I had to pretend to be tough and stoic; I had to pretend to like cars and sports in order to be one of the guys. I like to think of myself as a woman with a unique history. One thing I have noticed is that men like to take up “space”; in a theater, the men take the armrests and sit with their legs wide apart claiming the space for themselves.

What books from your childhood would you like to share with your children?
Disney’s Fantasia, I just loved that movie with the dancing brooms. I would love to share it with my grand nieces and nephews.

What is one talent or skill you don't possess but always wanted?
I wish I could sing and play an instrument, I am always so jealous of those who can play and sing.

4 comments:

  1. A male prima ballerina is a premiere danseur... otherwise they're just dancers, not ballerinas. why oh why do I know this?--out, out, damn trivia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, seeing a male ballerina or danseur (as kwizgiver pointed out)it says he's got strong character and knows who he is. I have always tried not to judge people by their cover first. I like to get to know someone for who they are. Personally I can't sing but, I can play the piano (rusty as that may be now). Happy MM. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your answer to #1 has been my favorite. I too wonder why some people wanted to see Hillary "show emotion" and others crucified her for it. You just can't win!

    Thank you for playing MM and I hope you stay safe in the snow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. my perspective, from f to m, the one thing that still surprises me sometines is how dismissive many genetic females are toward men-- in general, of course.

    It's interesting to be a man with an interesting past, as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete