Friday, September 07, 2007

Growing Up

Today I had a planning meeting for Connecticut TransAdvocacy Coalition in Hartford. As I was walking back to my car from the courtyard of a large national insurance company where we had the meeting; I was thinking how far I have come in the last seven years, and I am not talking about trans-issues.
All my life I was probably in only four or five places in Hartford and my circle of friends was maybe only numbered a dozen or so. Now I know my way around the Capital, the Legislative Office Building, the theaters and maybe a half a dozen restaurants in Hartford. I know the heads of non-profits organizations, legislators, a member of the GLBT Commission in Hartford and lobbyist. I lead a support group for three very successful years and I am a part of the coalition that is working to pass anti-discrimination legislation whose members include ACLU, NOW, GLAD and a dozen of other organizations. I went to Washington to lobby my Congressional delegation. I have helped out in a senatorial campaign. And lastly I am working toward a Master degree in Social Work.
As I was standing on the steps of the office building waiting for the walk light, I looked out over the Capital and Hartford and it just kind of seemed surreal this “Long Strange Trip”. If in 2000 you said I would be doing all this I would never have believed you.
I guess I have matured after long last.

2 comments:

  1. Some of us are late bloomers. ;-) But the great thing is, at least to me, it's never too late.

    You should be pleased and proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have broken out of your cocoon and today you are a butterfly!

    ReplyDelete