Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Getting To Know You

Getting To Know You: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow

Where were you in 1987? In school? Working? Single? Married? Attached? What was important to you? What were you doing creatively? Tell us a bit about your life then. I realize some of you were children then...all the better!
I was working for the same company for the past nine years and I was in my lost years. I wasn’t doing anything except sitting around reading science fiction, smoking pot and crossdressing in secret.

Where were you in 1997? What would you like to share about the nineties?
I was working for the same company for the past nineteen years and I was in my lost years. I wasn’t doing anything except sitting around reading science fiction, smoking pot and crossdressing in secret.

Where did you plan to be or think you'd be in 2007? Have your realized your goals? What is one thing about your present life you love and one you'd like to change?
I do not think I really had a plan, it just happened. I have been working for the same company for the past twenty-nine years and as a supervisor of an electronic testing department for twenty-seven of those years. But in 2000 I had a heart problem and that night in the emergency room I decided life was too short and I came “out of the closet” and I never looked back. I am the Director of a support group, on the Board of Directors of a Trans advocacy organization, I do volunteer work at a GLBT youth conference and for a Trans Health conference at University of Connecticut, I am part of a coalition for the passage of the Anti-Discrimination law for Gender Identity and Expression and I went to Washington DC to lobby for the bills there. And somehow I found time to start on my Masters of Social Work at UConn.
Oh, also in July I am retiring and beginning my transition.


How do you see your life in 2017? Do you have any goals or dreams for your future?
In 2017, I want to have graduated with my Master degree in Social Work, I want to be lobbying to improve the lives of transpersons and to help end discrimination against us.
My goal in life is simple; I want to improve the lives of the next generation of transpeople.

4 comments:

  1. I'm having so much fun reading all of these. I just want to say "Yay you" to everyone, but you most of all! Props and hugs to you and the difficult choices you've made. I'm sure your heart has thanked you for your decision in 2000.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I am so impress with how much your life has changed. You are really realizing your dreams. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so admire your tenacity and bravery and standing up for yourself!
    Thanks so much for participating and I hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Diana!!! You are amazing and brave.

    ReplyDelete